How Can I Serve
The Gospel, as it is properly understood and applied, makes us into a servant-hearted community. Serving others instead of ourselves is a necessary by-product of following Christ.
At CRC we believe the primary way followers of Christ serve their community is in and through their local church. Jesus said that the Church, by just being the Church, is “salt and light” for the world (Matthew 5:13-16). For this reason we encourage service in every aspect of our life together.
Opportunities for Service through CRC:
- Financial Giving: When you support CRC, you are joining a team committed to blessing the Upper Valley. In the relatively short history of CRC, we have given away over $1,708,000 to global outreach and charity, over $198,000 last year alone.
- Community Groups: Each of our small groups is encouraged to find ways that they can serve the community. Therefore, it is not surprising to find them serving community dinners, collecting food for the hungry, doing work projects for local charities, etc.
- Pioneering: If you have a vision for pioneering an unmet need, we’d love to talk to you. Please contact the CRC office.
- Prayer: At CRC we do not underestimate the greatest power for good in our community, the gracious power of God. Therefore, in our worship, various ministries and small groups, prayer for the work of God in our community is a priority. During the school year, we also have women’s prayer. For upcoming dates, please see the church calendar.
Have you ever considered your job as a way to worship Christ and serve your neighbor? The Gospel, as it is properly understood and applied, produces the most conscientious workers. “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving” (Colossians 3:23-24). Imagine that! God counts your work as a doctor or dentist, electrician or engineer, carpenter or teacher, artist or accountant, mother or father, as service rendered to Christ. Indeed, the Gospel elevates every aspect of our lives.
Local and Regional Service Organizations: (alphabetically listed)
Each summer we organize a CRC Community Service Day where we send teams to serve organizations in the local community. In addition, we strongly encourage everyone to seek the betterment of life in the Upper Valley by supporting and serving organizations like the ones listed below.
- American Red Cross: Providing disaster and emergency relief. www.redcross.org
- Bethany Christian Services: Pregnancy and adoption services. www.bethany.org or locally at 603-483-2886
- CCEF New England: Christian counseling 802-356-9065 or email@example.com
- Cover: Home repair program. www.coverhomerepair.org or 802-296-7241
- The Family Place: Providing assistance to families with young children. www.familyplacevt.org or 800-649-3268
- Food Pantry: First Baptist Church of Lebanon: 603-448-5618; Valley Bible Church 802-295-5000; Wellspring Worship Center: 603-643-2700 or www.wellspringworship.org/foodpantry/
- Good Beginnings: Program for families with newborns. www.goodbeginnings.net or 603-298-9524
- Habitat for Humanity: Creating affordable housing. www.uppervalleyhabitat.org
- The Haven: A homeless shelter serving families. 802-295-6500 or www.uppervalleyhaven.org
- Lions Club: Service organization: http://nhlions.org or Don Willeman 643-5588
- Listen Community Services: Helping people in times of need. www.listencs.org or locally at 603-448-4553
- More Than Wheels: Helping people with transportation needs. www.bonnieclac.org or 1-866-455-2522
- Pax International: Hosting Foreign exchange students:www.pax.org
- Pregnancy Center of the Upper Valley: www.pregnancycenteruppervalley.com or locally at 603-298-6123
- Richard W. Black Senior Center: Activities and support for our Senior citizens. www.hanovernh.org or 603-643-5531
- Rotary: Service organization; www.hanovernhrotary.org
- ServiceLink: Serving Senior citizens in our community. 1-866-634-9412 or www.nh.gov/servicelink/
- Spark! Community Center Center: Community center where those with disabilities can develop their strengths. www.sparkcommunitycenter.com/ or 603-678-8619
- Special Needs Support Center: For parents of children with special needs. www.snsc-uv.org or 603-448-6311
- Tucker Foundation: Oversees services and religious opportunities at Dartmouth College. 603-646-3350 or www.dartmouth.edu/~tucker/
- Upper Valley Hostel: Serving out of town patients. 643-3277 or www.uppervalleyhostel.org
- Upper Valley Land Trust: Promoting land conservation. www.uvlt.org or 603-643-6626
- The Eleazar Wheelock Socity: Integrating faith and learning in the Dartmouth community. www.eleazarwheelock.org
- WISE: Crisis intervention for women. www.wiseoftheuppervalley.org or 603-448-5525
- Youth In Action: Teen volunteer program. 603-643-4313
How Can I Serve
At CRC we desire to be not only a church that serves the Upper Valley, but also the world. Below are several ways that you may be able to participate.
Short and Long Term Missions:
In the short history of CRC, we have sent out numerous individuals to do a variety of projects both long and short term. Through our connections with Converge Worldwide Missions and numerous other agencies, we have a network of missions and relief opportunities that stretch around the globe. To learn more, check out our Missions page or see our Events Calendar.
By financially supporting CRC, you are “joining a team” that is directly helping those in need around the world. As a matter of fact, we have recently averaged giving over 20% of our budget to support other charities and ministries, and we aim to increase the percentage that we give away every year. For more about making a financial contribution, click here.
If you have an interest in pioneering an unmet need, we’d love to talk to you. Please contact the church office.
At CRC we do not underestimate the greatest power for good in our world, the gracious power of God, and so in our worship, various ministries and small groups, prayer for the work of God in our world is a priority.