Complete for Sunday, September 17
READ: Romans 1:1-13
- In verse 1 Paul says that he was “set apart for the gospel”. What does the word “gospel” mean?
- List the characteristics that Paul goes on to attribute to the gospel and then state the significance of each.
- In verse 3 Paul says that the gospel is “regarding his Son”. How does Paul go on to describe Jesus?
- In vv. 6-7 Paul describes the recipients of his letter. List those descriptions and the significance of each.
READ: Romans 1:14-17
- What does Paul mean by “the power of God that brings salvation”? How do people nowadays understand the idea of salvation? How does this compare and contrast with what Paul meant?
- What is the significance of “everyone”(v. 16)? Paul seems to stress this. Why?
- Paul says that in “the righteousness of God is revealed” in the gospel. What does he mean by “righteousness”. What do you think he means that this righteousness is “by faith from first to last”?
- Paul seems to be suggesting that this gospel of “righteousness by faith” is a revolutionary idea. How so? What difference does this make?
READ: Freedom Movement: 500 Years of Reformation pp. 2-5.
If you would like to view this study as a PDF, click here.
Image Source: Wikimedia